Rapporteurs: Michal Tik (Israel) and Paula Caneo Chile)
Project manager – Sylvain Marty –
Program URL: www.autolib.fr
The biggest start-up city car sharing project in the world (on one-way basis)
What is it?
• 45 cities at opening date
• 3000 + vehicles (100% EV)
• 1200 stations every 400 meters
• 5000-6500 parking places
• High reactivity to assistance calls
• 6 million people to potentially benefit
• 12 € per month subscriptions + 5€ 1° half hour 4€ 2° half hour
• 15€ 7€ half hour
• 200M kilometre per year
• Estimated that 20,000 cares will be sold
Financing the project:
• 60 M euro financed by the city of Paris and the rest is by the private company Bolloré 200M
• 1100M operational cost for 12 years
• Estimated 200, 000 uses.
• The car is capable of 250 kilometres with the same battery.
Service architecture: Key items
• High density network: 1200 (1 station / 400 meters)
• 24h/7 days service
• Internet, mobile and street hot points to subscribe, reserve…
• Guarantied parking place at destination (if reserved)
• Cruise assistance (GPS) & emergency
• Temporary stops allowed, not billed (15mn)
• Priced with moderation for a large public usage (12E/month + 15 cts/mn)
• Young drivers accepted with no cost adder
• Recharge allowed to private vehicles
• Oct-Dec is going to start
• Paris will lost 2,000 places!!
• The car is 4 seats, compact (3 doors)
• Battery is French, the car Italian (batteries give 2500 km)
• Cars will be recycled (90%)
• A three filter process
• Population + Employment + Boutiques targeted lay-out
Contributing to the environment and to sustainable growth
• Km200 million/year shifted from heat engine “0” emission cars
• 15.000 parking places liberated from private to public usage
• Less street noise & air pollution for more outdoor activities
• direct jobs will be created
• Enterprise fleet cots can be partially re-allocated
• A competitive advantage given to member Cities
Project Key Milestones
• Bolloré wins the tender on Dec 2010
• Dec 2011 250 station 250-400 vehicles
Expectation from the municipalities
• User freedom maximized and seamless
• One way, options not constraints, immediate assistance, guarantied parking, etc)
• Service accessible to everyone (affordable, limited conditions to subscribe)
• Sustainability (electric vehicles, number of vehicles and tuning optimized)
• Intermodal (easy to interconnect with public and other car share services)
• Financial robust
• (People will know if it will be free places to park because it will be a screen in each car)
Questions and answers:
o How are you going to manage the flow of cars? How will you move the cars from one place to another?
– It is not going to be a problem, as people will not use it as they use Vélib. They will not take the car to work on a daily basis it is relatively expenses.
o It is important to hear the cars coming when you ride a bike and electrical cars are too silent. Are you planning on doing anything about it?
– Yes, we added noise to the cars
o What is the car life cycle?
– The car life cycle depends of the battery and we estimated about 1 to 3 years
o How are you going to prevent and deal with theft?
– All parts (tires, mirrors) will be connected in a unique way and will not be removable without the suitable equipments.
o How will you control and know if somebody hit the car?
– Sensors will be installed in the car so as soon as a shock will occur the company will know about it
o What happen if you make a reservation and then don’t take the car?
– The person wills need to pay a penalty; however, it will be less than if one takes the car.
o Infrastructure will be also for other electric cars?
– In the future we will separate both charging stations; it will depend on the demand.
o Will you have publicity on the cares around Paris?
– No it is not possible as we have publicity contract around the city and we cannot have others.
o What happen if somebody doesn’t bring back the car?
– This is not possible because every car will have a GPS
o What happens if somebody tries to go out of the allowed area?
– We are going to know because of the GPS and a voice will say that the driver has to come back or pay a fine.
Presentation of two films:
– Zipcar Chicago : A commercial for Zipcar about a black guy driving a very expensive car as he can afford it when renting it from Zipcar.
– ”Bodhithava in the subway” – a movie about one person that laughs in the metro and make everyone laugh after him. The film illustrate the possibility of one person to influence others behaviour and well being.
– Comparison between the two guests